WOW is all I can really say. I think that when we are overweight we often tell ourselves "it isn't so bad. I'm not that fat. I'm not unhealthy. I can still do this or that. I'm just a little overweight." The reality is I told myself these things and I was so wrong. I look back at a few photos from our trip last year and am so disgusted by what I saw. For the most part I was happy but deep inside I would walk by a mirror and be shocked at what I saw. I seriously felt like the picture on the right. But sadly saw a mom who let herself go and gave myself the right to use every excuse in the book for it to be okay to be overweight. People would tell me "it's ok it will come off, You've birthed four kids, you have a lot going on, you are busy when do you have time to work out?" etc and the list goes on and on. EXCUSES! I still give myself excuses for not losing more regularly. The reality is I should easily have been at my lifetime goal. I don't beat myself up too much over it but I have slacked a lot since the holidays. I recently kicked it in high gear again and as I approach my 35th bday this coming week. I really wanted to hit my 75 pound mark by now and between you and me(the ten people that read this) I want to break 200 pounds. Yeah, yeah, I know for us nosey people you are doing the math to see how heavy I was. I do it too. It's ok. I weighed in at 273 at my highest. The highest I actually saw. I am sure I it was higher than that but I never got on the scale after the day I weighed 273 until I realized I have lives to save and protect.
A year ago TJ ran off, it was scary and I barely could catch him. His safety depends on my ability to keep up with him. And my life needed saved. I was in a dark place with dealing with Tj's diagnosis, some serious family relationships in the balance. I was unhappy with my negativity and knew something had to change. Thanks to a few weight loss challenges my life is forever changed.
I started running. I never thought I could ever run because "I have bad knees". Well I had bad knees because they were carrying way too much weight. I am running 5k races on a monthly basis, ran a 15k in Portland in March, planning a half in a few weeks and many more races in the future. I run with Ron and a good friend on a regular basis as well. And starting to run with another lady who I can already tell will become a good friend. I LOVE my zumba class, the instructor. I love my group training. The trainer is amazing and my workout friends are inspiring and keep me going. I am fully blessed. My husband is supportive always and I work out as much as possible while the kids are in school or in bed. We go on the best family bike rides, walks and they have even roller bladed or rode bikes while I/we run. It's an amazing life I never thought I would have. It was totally up to me.
If you find yourself in a place where I was in my before picture, contact me. I would love to encourage you in your journey. If I can do this, you can too. I still have a for sure 25-30 pounds I want to lose to be at my lifetime goal. It's getting harder but I'm getting there.
Best wishes in reaching your goal whether it be 100 pounds or 10 pounds. It's not easy for anyone. Here's to a healthier more active lifestyle.

4 comments:
I have to admit that when I became your friend on Facebook last summer I almost didn't recognize you. The last time I had seen you was high school and the girl in the pictures was not the girl I remembered from all those basketball practices and games. I have been amazed watching your journey to get heathy again and am sooooo very inspired by you and your family. You look absolutely fantastic but I am even more amazed by your attitude. Keep it up! Hopefully, we will cross paths in real life one of these days. Blessings, Beth Brewer
I'm so proud of you, friend! You look stunning. Your honesty is a breath of fresh air and one of the things I have always loved about you. Way to get out there and inspire! Love. you.
Great job Alyssa. I have been so in awe of this process you have gone through. keep it up!
Oh how I miss you Charysse!
Post a Comment