Or are we? It really bothers me that so many Christians believe this statement. I have heard comments and conversations most of my life supporting the idea that Christians are better. I thoroughly disagree. I am a Christian. I am a follower of Christ. I am in no way better than someone who isn't a Christian. I get SO tired of hearing other Christians judge those who are not following or have not chosen, been chosen, pending your beliefs on that, to have a relationship with Christ. I am guilty of judging, or as I have recently been told it's not judging, as that is for God only. So what is it? Criticising. I am guilty of that at times too.
If anything shouldn't we as "Christians" have a bigger heart for those we call "lost" instead of hammering on their every bad move? Why is it then that we are the most heartless. I can see why religion is such a turn off to many.
We as "Christians" fall into the SAME exact things as everyone else in this world. We cheat, steal, commit adultery, take wedding vows lightly, divorce, have addictions, children out of wedlock, are abusive. It's not just the non believers, yet when it happens we are so quick to put in our two cents. We can pick apart the specks in others eyes and not check out the plank that is blinding our own eyes. I almost think it's sad that we criticise the non believer when they make bad choices, yet when a Christian does we make excuses.
I often look at others choices and feel very little empathy, sympathy. We all make choices in our lives, not always good ones. Some have devastating effects. Some that are so painful they take years to come out. Every choice and action that we make has an effect. Some times they are felt right away and others, years. No matter what, the effects will take place at some point. I am guilty of looking at peoples mistakes and thinking they deserve it. They made the choice right?
Make good choices, good things will happen. Make stupid, selfish choices, and that is just what will happen. As Christians we need to do a heck of a lot better job at supporting those around us. Believers or not. I am no better than the atheist, Mormon, Buddhist or whoever. I have a personal relationship with Christ. That is the only thing that makes me different. NOT better. I live for HIM alone. He is not the person at the top of my list. It isn't God first then family, etc..... God isn't to be put on a list. He is a part of each thing I choose to put on a list, if I choose to list out my life in importance. I will never choose Christ over anything else. Why? Because I don't have to. God is a part of my marriage. He is a part of my children, family, church, friends, volunteering, etc... I do however choose to do my best to serve him in all those areas. I am not better than someone else because of being a Christian.
Truthfully I am more disturbed by some believers than non believers. Maybe I am disturbed by myself as well. That I too criticise others choices. Sometimes others crappy choices effect my life and yes, it sucks. But is this how God wants me to be as a Christian. To feel no empathy for those who are hurting, even if they cause it. I think God screams to have compassion and pray for them. Not roll my eyes and write them off as a lost cause.
We need to get off our high horses, serve and LOVE EVERYONE. And take responsibility for our actions. Be proud of the good choices you make and acknowledge that bad ones and make them right.
I am proud to have a relationship with my Jesus. I may not always show that I live and serve him, but I hope that over time, I will be that Lighthouse seen as I see in others.
Here is to having a beautiful relationship with Christ, and remembering that it is a relationship, not a religion that matters!
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment