I have been anxiously waiting to blog about Kim Stagliano, who I have met via face book. She is a fun loving and funny lady who has a gift of writing and looking back and finding the funny in all things. My worry is the turn off for many of you right away you can see that it is written by a woman with three beautiful girls with autism, however I encourage you to read her book. She is humorous beyond measure. I have an autographed copy for one lucky winner. All you have to do is comment on this post, or on FB if you are my friend on there.
You may be thinking, "why would I want to read a book about a mother with three girls with autism?" Because if you are reading this blog, you know ME. And if you know me you know of our son, who was recently diagnosed with autism. My wish is that for everyone in my life would take just a few moments out of their life to read up on the life of having a child with a disorder that is very complex, and young in its research. Children, and adult likewise, who have this really crappy disorder are so often misread. I am that mom, Kim is that mom, that many people stare at in the store and judge. "She needs to discipline that kid". "Man, that kid runs the show". "What a little spoiled brat". "She needs to get that boy under control". I have had those looks and it breaks every mothers heart who has a child with autism. Usually others are not aware that a child with odd, or disruptive, or even aggressive behavior is battling sensory issues, may be so over stimulated by the sights, sounds and toys they see everywhere, that they just can't help being loud. Let alone cry or scream out if they cannot speak.
Here is Kim's BIO: "Hi, I'm Kim Stagliano, wife, Mom, writer, tired. My husband and I have three gorgeous girls - who have autism. Kind of impossible, considering autism affects boys 4:1 over girls. Mark and I have learned that impossible is often inescapable though. My book is humorous look at a life that has been anything but ordinary or easy - and yet is full of laughter, joy and love. I promise, you won't need a Prozac to read it. :)"
About her book:
"How one woman raises three daughters with autism, loses one at Disney World, stays married, has sex, bakes gluten-free, goes broke, and keeps her sense of humor. "Dr. Spock? Check. Penelope Ann Leach (remember her?)? Check. What to Expect When You’re Expecting? Check. I had a seven hundred dollar Bellini crib for God’s sake!"
...and so begins Kim Stagliano’s electrifying and hilarious memoir of her family’s journey raising three daughters with autism. In these stories, Stagliano has joined the ranks of David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs with her amazing ability to lay everything on the table—from family, friends, and enemies to basement floods to birthdays to (possible) heroin addictions—eviscerating and celebrating the absurd. From her love of Howard Stern to her increasing activism in the autism community and exhaustive search for treatments that will help her daughters, she covers it all. Always outspoken, often touching, and sometimes heartbreaking, Kim Stagliano is a powerful new voice in comedic writing—her “Kimoir” (as she calls it) will be a must-read within the autism community and the literary world at large. 24 color photographs."
How can you receive her book autographed and free?
Post a comment to be entered in to a drawing to receive this autographed book. If anyone chooses to buy this book I also have a signed book plate to the first person to let me know they bought it. As we support our troops, those with cancer, please support those with special needs. If it hasn't impacted you yet, special needs will sometime in your life.
Thank you for taking time to read my blog, and to read about Kim and her new book. I hope that you are led to enter to win her book, and if you are not that lucky winner, that you will purchase her book in support of anyone you know who is battling autism. Like our little TJ.

12 comments:
Sounds like a great account or raising children with autism, I'll see if I can check it out some time. Thanks.
Alyssa I am truly inspired by your honesty and appreciate the challenges you and your family are going through! As an advocate I would love to read this book and help educate others.
Nicole Meier
Wow, sounds like an awesome book. I'll definitely put it on my to-read list!
Kayla
http://bebrandnew.blogspot.com/
I can honestly say as a Mother of 1 Autistic son I ADMIRE anyone dealing with Autism in multiples, i look at my daily challenges and can not even begin to imagine this time three... I look forward to reading this book and have really enjoyed all the reviews so far!
Krista
Hi, Kim here! Thank you so much - your desciption is so heartfelt. I have this hope that the book will help those of us facing the challenges of autism but really help educate in a "spoonful of sugar and maybe a glass of wine too" folks outside of autism. KIM :)
Nice review, I'd love to read it
Alyssa,
Kim is a great inspiration to all of us in the autism community. As a parent of a 5 year old who is on his road to recovery, I recommend you reach out and network with other families living with autism. They can help you tremendously! I know that my son would not be doing as well had we not done early intervention, or seen a DAN doctor. Best of luck!
As a sibling to a brother with autism, I look up to Kim. Everything that I have done is like pennies compared to hundred-dollar bills, compared to Kim. Raising THREE daughters with autism is insane. I know how hard it can be with one, but three! Wow. I know she's had some rough times. Her dedication to the cause is so inspiring. She's an awesome woman. Gotta love Kim. I hope I win this book!!
I will read this one too Lyss! Whatever I can do to educate myself I will do it! I am always here for you, a shoulder to cry on a non0judgemental ear to hear the things you may take back later LOL I love you so much and I am very proud of you!
I hope I am not too late for the drawing, as the mom of 4 kids, 3 ASD, 1 TS I really need a laugh and look forward to reading it.
Ok here I am, give me my book! lol I will be waiting to hear from you! Crossing my fingers~!
Will post the winner in a few hours. Working on writing names down for the drawing. The kids will be helping me. Thanks, Alyssa
Post a Comment