I don't know about you but I like to read warnings. On labels of everything. Especially medication, procedures, how to's. But after this week I think I need to tone it down a bit. While having come off a bit of a rough week last week with a fairly painful toothache, challenging news, disappointing doors closed, I was a bit of a "Debbie Downer".
(A not-so-pleasant post ahead)
So going into Friday I knew I was in for it. I had a cavity that needed fixed. I had two options. Pull the tooth or do a root canal. Sounds wonderful doesn't it? I know that if you had a choice you would just jump right in a take the offer at hand for me. blah! So, thinking along the lines of being on a strict budget I opted for the tooth to be pulled. No biggie right. Sore for a few days then back at life. Well, it hasn't been anything like that.
Having a tooth pulled is simple. But I wanted to know what I was getting into. So brilliant me, went to my good friend google. I googled and checked all sorts of sights. I refuse to look at pictures because that is gross. I got all caught up on what was going to take place. Simple enough. Quick and easy procedure. Aftercare, manageable. Possible risks and side effects, HAULT! What? Ok so I should have just closed the browser but what good would that do. I need to be aware of what the risks are and what problems I could be faced with. Justified? Maybe, but now I was down right terrified. So after much delimna I decided I will need to take a "panic pill" to survive the dentist. So I get there and I take one.
Being the honest person I am about meds because they freak me out, I wrote down I took it. In comes dr, asks me a few questions and he says, well we can't pull tooth today because you took medicine before you signed the procedure papers. Yippie! I get to walk out and not have it done. Crap! Now I have to endure the waiting over the weekend for the procedure. Anxiety and all.
For this worrier it went smooth. Monday came and I got there early, signed my papers while still of "sound decision making mind" and waited. My name was called and I was in and out in 15minutes. Yes, it was that quick. Few shots to numb. Little wiggling, OUCH! Severe pain and throbbing! Ok, more numbing. Some very vigorous wiggling, circling and out the tooth came. I will spare some of the other details. But I grimaced and moaned while he was pulling my jaw all over the place. It was traumatic. Doable? Yeah, but still NOT FUN!
Pain meds handed to me then I was out the door. I will admit I called Ron crying as soon as I walked out the door. I just don't handle going to the dentist very well.
So really it was super quick. I'm thinking I could do that again if needed now that the panic subsided. However, the next three days were terrible. The pain and aching was tremendous. Pain meds worked enough, but I could not open my mouth and couldn't get myself to eat. I felt sick. I wasn't sure why but just had no appetite. Was droggy and second guessing how easy this was.
Tuesday I overdid it like us moms love to do. Laundry, dishes, picking up, dealing with TJ for just a few short hours.
Then came Wednesday. I felt horrible and the pain wouldn't subside and it kept bleeding. Not a lot but enough that the taste of the blood made me sick. I got online and researched again. Now I'm freaked out and worried about "dry socket". AH! I hurt terrible, was sick to my stomach and the meds were putting me out. Such a worrier!
Last night was terrible. I was nauseated ALL night. The taste in my mouth from the "healing" was too much. I spend some time dry heaving. I couldn't wipe the saliva out of my mouth, I'd gag and dry heave. I couldn't swallow my saliva, it tasted terrible. I freaked out. I have only taken these panic pills 3 times in my life. I thought this whole thing has me in one, so I took a pill. It did nothing for me except I didn't cry like a baby. So I wondered if I was getting a flu bug.
I called the dentist right away and they had me come in. To my surprise I am so far, healing well and everything looks good. He said to EAT more. I'm down 10 pounds in 3 days from not hardly eating. I was getting super sick from not eating enough before taking the ibuprofin. So the medicine was my culprit.
So here I am pain free for the most part but the taste in my mouth is too much to bare. I think I will actually try meatloaf now, just because it could no way be worse than the taste I am dealing with. I am praying that this section of healing ends soon that eating will be more bearable and the "healing stuff" will be less strong. I am hungry most of the time. I can eat but my jaw is pretty sore and gets tired pretty fast. I did manage to eat 3/4 of a pkg of TopRamen. It was so good. And yet, I ended up with a tummy ache from over eating. :)
So I am on the mend. Ron has been great about finding places for TJ. Our dads stepped up big time. My mom was helpful in spending her days off watching tj. It was a huge blessing each day as I only had him today for a total of 2 hours by self and he was too much. I had to cat nap after Ron walked through the door.
My family and a neighbor has been getting kids to and from school. What a blessing to have so much kindness when I really needed it.
And for next time, I'm trying a root canal, I will never go 6 years without seeing a dentist ever again, and I vow to read the warnings a little less. Some things you are just better off not knowing.
3 comments:
Sorry Alyssa!!! Hope you getto feeling better. I would love to lose 10 pounds though. :) heehee
Yes, Dee. The weight loss is great. Except I was told that not eating enough, even if drinking enough could slow the healing. My bosy needs to be fed and have energy to function daily not to mention heal from something. I just can't do it. I'm so freaked about food getting stuck in area. Owell, maybe, just maybe this will aid in my wieght loss I've been working on for a few weeks. :)
This post made me laugh. "I turned to my good friend, google". You are hilarious. I am sorry that you have been dealing with all of that pain and sickness. I hate the dentist as well and experience severe anxiety every time I have to go. Bleh! I hate it. I just had to get a temporary crown last week and go in for the permanent one in another week. Not only is it terrifying to go, but it is going to cost a grand. Makes me even more sick.
Post a Comment