From Psalms 42:11

But o my soul, don't be discouraged. Don't be upset. Expect God to act, for I know I will again have plenty of reason to praise Him for all He will do. He is my help-He is my God. I cast my care on God! Greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world. ~From MSD, My sweet SIL.







Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Thursday's Radical Recipe

Pictures First!
Lasagna in the Crock Pot
Lasagna dinner with homemade French Bread

The Sin-a-mon Rolls before being cooked after rising


The Sin-a-mon Rolls, or a few of them after being cooked
and even a few bites off the tops of some. This was a photo
from my cell phone and the was for my cousin on her Bday!
We took the picture and then sent in to her via cell and sang to her.


Here we go. Today is a very special day. It's a two-fur! You got it! Not one, but TWO recipe's. I am trying SO many new things and am lovin it. Today you get Sin-a-mon Rolls and Crock Pot Lasagna. The lasagna is literally my recipe. Yay! All mine. All my doing and it is to die for.

Might I remind you that I am a picky, a P-I-C-K-Y eater!! Somewhat anyway! So here it is. Lasagna first then dessert!

Busy Mom's Lasagna

1/2 pound Hamburger meat (optional, we rarely use meat)
1- 15oz can Tomato Sauce
1 can Diced Stewed Tomato's (with or w/o onion and peppers, or Italian)
1- 6oz can Tomato Paste
2 cloves garlic
3 tsp. Basil
1 1/2 tsp. Oregano
1.) If using meat cook Meat, Onions and Garlic in pan. When cooked, pull off burner and add Tomato Sauce, Paste, Stewed Tomato's, Basil, and Oregano.
*If not using meat just mix all ingredients into a bowl, no need to heat.


1 15+ oz container of Ricotta or Cottage Cheese
2 tsp parsley (optional)
2.) *Mix these 2 ingredients together

6-8 oz Mozz Cheese grated

Dried Lasagna Noodles UNCOOKED
(reg or whole wheat, use as much as your heart desires. We like noodles)
3.) Turn Crock Pot on Low. Put a small amount of Tomato Sauce mixture on bottom of Pot to start your layers. Break noodles to fit over sauce. I used two noodles each layer. Spread Cottage cheese over noodles, spread sauce over cottage cheese/Ricotta and then peppers if using, the sprinkle grated cheese. Layer again, noodles, cottage cheese, sauce, cheese. Layer till crock pot is almost full (inch to half inch from top) or until ingredients are gone.

Cook on LOW for 4 hours!!! TOP with Parmesan cheese. Delicious!


NOTE: Originally I cooked for 8 hours, maybe 9 by the time we ate. I think cooking for 4 hrs is best. I took a bite at noon and it was done. So four hours is perfect. I also used peppers. I think I used too many in the layers. Probably just a few next time. Like on one or two layers only.
I can't wait to try this again and have the noodles not as soft. I didn't use meat, but think next time I will try it just to know for sure the flavor of the recipe.

This took me 20 minutes at most to throw together from start to finish.



Sin-a-mon Rolls

4-4 1/2 C Flour (I use Bread Flour but All-Purpose is fine too)
1 Pkg Active Dry Yeast
1.) *Mix 2 C flour and yeast in lrg mixing bowl set aside

1 C. Milk
1/3 C. Sugar
1/3 C. Butter
1/2 tps. Salt
2 Eggs
2.) **In a saucepan heat and stir Milk, 1/2 C. Sugar, 1/3 C. Butter and salt just until butter is almost completely melted. DO NOT BOIL or it will be too hot. Just warm!

3.)*** Add Milk Mixture to the 2 C flour and yeast mixture and blend with hand mixer for 30 seconds on low. Scrape sides. Then Blend on Med/high for 2-3 minutes.

4.)Add 2 C cups of flour (to equal close to the to mix until it is too hard to stir then dump onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in rest of flour (1/2 C.) if needed, for 3-5 minutes.

5.) Shape dough into ball and put into a lightly greased bowl and turn so both sides are greased. Cover and let rise for about an hour (doubled in size).

6.) Punch Dough down and turn out onto lightly floured surface. Divide in half, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

2 T. melted Butter
2/3 C. Sugar
3 tsp. Cinnamon
7.)*** Roll each half into a 12x8 rectangle. Brush the melted butter onto the rectangle then sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mix.

8.) ***Roll each rectangle starting with the long edge. Using a string, slide under roll and bring up and cross them over the top and pull. This will slice them. Slice each roll into 12 slices

9.) ***Put the cinnamon rolls into 8x8 pan or round pans or even a lrg lasagna pan. I suggest using 9 to a square pan. Leave a small amount of room between them to give them room to rise. I had mine touching and I had them bulging out the top since they couldn't expand.

10.) *** Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or when doubled in size.

NOTE: Warm place- I like to put in oven with a bowl of hot water on the bottom rack under the pans. Close the oven and it will warm it perfectly to help them rise.
Bake 375 for 15-20 minutes.

* I am not sure but think my oven cooks a little warm. I cooked for 20 minutes exactly and it was too much. Next time I will cook for 15 and that should be enough.



Powdered Sugar Icing

1 1/2 C Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 T. Milk
*Mix all ingredients together to a drizzly consistency*

Drizzle onto semi-cooled cinnamon rolls. Store in a closed/air tight container. Not sure how long they will last. Ours were gone in less than 24 hours. I did share a few, promise!

Seriously..... Enjoy!!!

MY VOTE: 10
Great recipe, fun and pretty easy!
And of course if you try these please let me know. Kids LOVE to help with the cinnamon rolls. Of course if you are up for it. Brookelyn helped me measure the flour and she enjoyed putting the cut cinnamon rolls into the pans before cooking.

No comments: