From Psalms 42:11

But o my soul, don't be discouraged. Don't be upset. Expect God to act, for I know I will again have plenty of reason to praise Him for all He will do. He is my help-He is my God. I cast my care on God! Greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world. ~From MSD, My sweet SIL.







Monday, March 16, 2009

Wheat Bread Success

Well, I must say that this weekend was FULL of great and exciting things. If you missed my last post it is a must read. I linked it to my other blog which has all the "good details" of our weekend. Well, mostly just our Friday.

This weekend I was once again able to spend a few hours in the kitchen trying out some new recipes. Check out this wonderful Wheat Bread Recipe at Monday Madness and Meal Planning. It may just be the one to replace store bought bread. The kids loved it and Ron and I loved it. We tried it today as our lunches. I know that my PB&J was so the BEST ever!!! So go on over and check it out.

Yesterday I also made pizza from scratch. The dough recipe wasn't my favorite so I won't burden you with trying it. But the homemade pizza sauce was SO delicious. Thought I'd throw it down for you to try. Again HUGE money saver. YAY! I love saving $!!

Pizza Sauce

1 11 oz can Tomato Sauce
1/4 C. Finely Chopped Onion
1 1/4 tsp. dried Basil
1 1/4 tsp. dried Oregano
1 1/4 tsp. Sugar
2 cloves Garlic crushed OR 1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh garlic (I use McCormicks in jar)
1/4 tsp. pepper

I put all ingredients into a microwave safe dish and microwaved for several minutes and again right before I put on crust. I will next time simmer on the stove for a good 10-15 minutes until the onion is soft. Again, sauces that simmer longer, taste better. Lesson Learned. It still was GREAT but I want the FULL effect from all the spices I used. Who knows maybe I will simmer for an hour.

Put sauce on your crust, french bread, English Muffins or even those home made bagels and top with your favorite toppings. We had some left over olives from taco/burrito night and left over peppers that needed eaten and fast. Although I was disappointed in the crust, it was SUPER good!

Give it a try and let me know how it turns out!

1 comment:

Mike and Mindy Roth said...

I made this last night and I LOVE the flavor of it. I've made a couple of pizza crusts lately that tasted really "yeasty", so I was nervous to make a loaf, but the flavor was GREAT!!! I didn't cook mine long enough though, so better luck next time. This loaf had a slightly gooey bit down the center, which eventually sunk, leaving a hollowed tunnel through the loaf. LOL. It's edible, but holey and a little too chewy in some parts. I did it for 20 mins at 350 (the recipe didn't say what temp). I know it varies oven-to-oven, but how long did you cook yours? And at what temp? Just curious. Thanks for the recipe. I'm so excited to make my own bread. We don't use much, so this will be perfect and save us some $$$